Loose Duck Race

What do you do on a dull, cold late May Bank Holiday Monday in the UK? Go to a duck race in the local village of course! As I've said in my previous post about Loose village I was born and brought up within a stone's throw of it but although I knew about the annual duck race I had never been. Until this week that is.

When I investigated it a little more beforehand I discovered it was more than just a duck race and was actually an all day event with a few craft and food stalls, rides for children etc. as well as the races. So I suggested to my husband that perhaps we could go and see what it was all about as we had no other plans.


As you'll also know if you've been reading my posts since we got back to the UK or if you've read any of my Singapore blog we like to go walking so we started our duck race experience by walking into the village. Having never been before I really wasn't sure how busy it would be or what to expect. Likewise as the weather was far from seasonal I wasn't sure if people may have been put off. However I'm not sure I've ever seen the stream and the field next to it as busy, even on the hottest of summer days!

Once we arrived we started our afternoon with a drink in the very handily placed village pub. Again possibly the busiest I've ever seen it, they must love this event. From there we went and explored the few stalls and then walked back along the path on the stream right alongside the races.


We didn't buy a ticket to race a duck of our own but from what I could tell the races were pretty frequent and all hotly contested with plenty of ducks taking part. You can see a race in my photos below keenly being followed by those who had bought a ticket for a duck and those out to enjoy the day. Our afternoon at the 'races' was fun, despite it being quite chilly and fresh. If you live nearby why not pop by next late May Bank Holiday and see it for yourself.



Ducks lining up for their race

Comments